Joanmarie M. Dowling is the founder and member of Dowling Law, PLLC. Ms. Dowling has extensive experience in advising and representing for-profit and not-for-profit organizations in corporate governance, labor and employment, and other corporate matters. She successfully defended employers’ rights in both federal and state courts as well as before administrative agencies, such as the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the New York Division of Human Rights, the U.S. and New York Departments of Labor, and the New York Workers’ Compensation Board.
In addition to administrative and litigation defense representation, Ms. Dowling provides strategic legal advice to help employers to manage their legal risks while advancing their business and strategic objectives. She advises boards in a variety of matters, including corporate governance and contracts, and she reviews bylaws and other corporate documents for legal compliance. She also provides guidance on corporate best practices.
Ms. Dowling advises and represents both union and non-union employers regarding proactive employee relations and other labor relations matters; represents employers before the National Labor Relations Board on representation and unfair labor practice charges; and defends employers in employee grievances and arbitrations. She also provides proper labor practices training to managers and supervisors.
Ms. Dowling prepares and reviews corporate policies and procedures, handbooks, and other guidance documents. She has successfully negotiated executive employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, leases, service agreements, and separation and settlement agreements.
Ms. Dowling is a frequent speaker, trainer, and writer on today’s common workplace issues, including corporate best practices, proper labor practices, harassment and discrimination, employee leave, retaliation complaints, reasonable accommodation requests, social media, employee terminations, wage and hour problems, and union grievances.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, University of Alabama (magna cum laude)
- Juris Doctor, Albany Law School of Union University (summa cum laude)
- Externship with the Hon. Lawrence J. Kahn, U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York.
- President, Capital Region Human Resource Association, June 2014 – June 2015
- Vice-President, Capital Region Human Resource Association, June 2012 – June 2014
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Society for Human Resource Management (Certified as a Senior Human Resource Professional)
- State Council, New York State Society for Human Resource Management, June 2014 – June 2015
- Served on the Boards of Homeless and Travelers’ Aid Society and the Women’s Employment And Resource Center
- Community Advisory Board, WAMC
- Communications Facilitator, Doane Stuart Parents’ Association
- Chapter 14: Conducting Workplace Investigations, Prager Handbook on Understanding and Preventing Workplace Discrimination, Michele A. Paludi, Eros R. DeSouza, Carmen A. Paludi, Jr. (Eds.), ABC-Clio, LLC., vol. 1 (2011)
- Obtaining Criminal Background Information? What Employers Need to Know, CI Times, Vol. 5, Issue 6 (December 2008)
- What Employers Should Know About Meal Periods and Rest Breaks, Hudson Valley Job Service Employer Committee Newsletter, Spring 2007
- Legal Q & A Columnist, Capital Region Human Resources Association Newsletter, September 2006 – December 2008
- Background Investigations, New York Job Service Employer Committee
- Labor Relations, College of Saint Rose
- Top Wage and Hour Mistakes and How to Avoid Them, Council of Industry of Southeastern New York
- Counseling the Corporate Client on Employment Law in Turbulent Times, New York State Bar Association
- Workplace Harassment
- Managing and Leveraging Workplace Use of Social Media, The Research Foundation of SUNY Symposium
- Performance Management: Best Practices From Hire Through Termination of Employment
- The Sticky Wicket: Managing Medical Leaves Under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Human Rights Law
- Independent Contractors
- Progressive Discipline